From faux furs and statement outerwear to floral prints and pants suits for warmer weather, a diverse range of styles for every season are already hitting the runway at New York Fashion Week.
Many designers at the semi-annual event, which started last Thursday, will preview 2017 fall/winter apparel that will land in stores months from now.
Here are our favourite moments so far:
- Raf Simons debuts his Calvin Klein collection – The new chief creative officer for the fashion house, Raf Simons, was the talk of the town on Friday, during the second day of New York Fashion Week. The collection returned to Calvin Klein’s dependable style of tailored suits and neutral blouses with added touches from Simons – think brightly colored pockets, plastic coats and varsity sweater sleeves.
- Diversity rocking the runway – Last season more than 25 percent of the models at shows in New York, London, Paris and Milan were women of color, according to a study by wesbite the Fashion Spot. New York led the way, with 30.3 percent, and that could rise this year. The city’s Fashion Week also featured the most plus-size models in recent history, more women over 50 years old and a slight increase in transgender models, with 10 appearances.
- Gigi Hadid for Tommy Hilfiger – It’s no secret that supermodel Gigi Hadid has been working closely with the brand lately, resulting in her own limited edition capsule collection and even a Barbie doll created in her image. She stormed the runway at Venice Beach for New York Fashion Week, showcasing Hilfger’s vibrant Spring 2017 collection.
- Lady Gaga – the ‘Perfect Illusion’ singer made a surprise appearance at Tommy Hilfiger’s Venice Beach runway show, wearing dramatic eye makeup, a delicate rosary necklace and an embroidered top
- Kendall Jenner for Alexander Wang – It seems such a long time since we saw her fighting for screen time with her sisters on Keeping Up with the Kardashians... Now a she’s an internationally recognised supermodel in her own right. Kendall had no problem matching the moody, leather-happy aesthetic of Wang’s collection as she pounded the runway. Masculine structuring paired with a monochromatic black palette oozed sex appeal.
- Alexa Chung – Our favourite home-grown ‘It girl’, Alexa Chung, was also in attendance at New York Fashion Week. She was all smiles in a simple, strapless dress for the Vivienne Hu collection.